Monday, September 29, 2014

It's almost [GREEN] GUMBO weather! YES I said G-R-E-E-N not R-O-U-X!


So years ago I had a cajun friend of mine make me and my sister a green gumbo and ever since we have not been the same! She made this incredibly healthy version of a gumbo and it has since changed my life because in south Louisiana it is sinful to not be making gumbos and/or eating them when the weather gets cold and holidays draw near. It just doesn't feel right or NORMAL at the least! 

So....when my friend introduced this new version of a gumbo, it was heaven sake because I could finally make something that had A LOT less guilt, loads of gumbo-like flavor, and was perfect for cold weather nights and Thanksgiving + Christmas holidays. I know you may be thinking 'I have to taste it to believe it, then just TASTE it' but go ahead, I dare you - you will thank me!


If you want to add a little more to it, bake a  JALAPENO CORNBREAD  to go with it if your kids and/or hubby desires! If jalapeno seems to hot well toughen up, you're in Louisiana and need to build your tolerance - jk jk. Anyway, green gumbo is something kids and hubbies LOVE and how proud will you be mom when you know their eating something loaded with green veggie nutrients!



Ingredients :
I bundle of all chopped and stems off...
  • 3 cups of chopped kale
  • 3 cups of chopped spinach
  • 3 cups of chopped turnip greens
  • 3 cups of chopped mustard greens
  • 3 cups of chopped okra
  • 1 cup of chopped green onions
  • 1 cup of chopped parsley
  • 2 yellow onions chopped
  • 3 celery stalks chopped
  • 5 garlic cloves minced
  • 1 bell pepper chopped
  • 4 cups chicken broth 
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 ham hock
  • 1 whole chicken
  • 1 package turkey sausage thinly sliced (can do 1 lbs. of shrimp if prefer)

Seasoning mix :1 teaspoon off...
  • Paprika
  • Garlic salt
  • Pepper
  • Cayenne
  • Celery salt
  • Thyme
  • 4 bay leaves

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Sautéed onion , celery and bell pepper in olive oil 
  1. Brown and soften veggies and collect brown bits and pour in some water to get darker color
  1. Add a little butter during this about 1 tablespoon
  1. After this is done, add in garlic, broth, water and all your veggies chopped, stir for 1 minute
  1. Add in your meat
  1. Cover and cook low heat 4 hours. Mid way I add in about 1/4 cup of half Worcestershire sauce and half Tabasco or hot sauce and mix.



Serve w brown long grain rice.





No comments:

Post a Comment